Saturday, August 3, 2013

Gluten free English muffins...yum!



Years ago, before my defloured days, I loved English Muffins.
Remember the commercial, with the little girl and her grandfather, and they would share the muffin and cut into the "Nooks" and look for the "Crannies?".
Yeah, that's how much I loved these things. 

So, I set out on a mission to try to find a way to replicate my beloved nooks. 

One of the original ways that "English Muffins" were made, was in a skillet. They were considered a "bread pancake". Which can explain why this recipe worked so well.

I found a few recipes that were oatflour pancakes. All included sugar, and most were not thick (I tried a few and they were all delicious, but not what I was looking for)

So, as always, I started to test them out. 

One day, My husband made some burgers and I said to him, "I need bread with these, I'll be right back, I'm going to try something"

And to my surprise, I made english muffins. Like real ones, that you can cut in half and toast!

So that night I tried it again, and it worked! 

Since then, I've made garlic, cheese and cinnamon raisin ones. Just wonderful. And they hold up VERY well for sandwiches. 

(If the directions seem confusing, check back for my step by step picture tutorial with the next post)

Defloured English Muffins
By: Batter to Bake

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
Yields: approximately 6


Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of oat flour (Or 1 cup oats, 1 1/2 cup flour)
3/4 cups almond milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
2 tbsp seasoning (I used 1 tsp dill, and 1 tsp mrs dash)
1/2 tsp baking soda


Directions:
Mix all dry ingredients together in one bowl. 
Whip the egg and then add it to the mixture. Slowly add the milk
Heat skillet to medium heat. Spray with nonstick spray.


Add about 1/4 cup of mixture to the skillet. Cover with lid for 5 minutes (or until the mix begins to bubble)
Once you flip them, the bottom will definitely resemble an english muffin.
Be sure that you keep check on time. 

Repeat and allow to cool.

I will be posting my Variation Cinnamon Raisin English muffins soon, keep a look out!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment